Story by Gabby Strand
College isn’t for everyone. These “celebs” are testimony.
- Adele: Aka the woman with the exact opposite of your shower voice. Intended to go to college, but got signed to a recording deal right after high school graduation. Hello 19.
- Ben Affleck: Went to University of Vermont for a semester. Dropped out. Tried on Occidental College, but decided enough was enough and threw himself into the pursuit of an acting career. It seems to have worked out.
- Ralph Lauren: Highly esteemed (billionaire) fashion mogul. Dropped out of the City College of New York to design ties. Also launched Polo later that same year. All in a day’s work, right?
- Bill Gates: A pretty well known story, the now billionaire dropped out of Harvard his sophomore year to co-found what would later become Microsoft. In his words, “I realized the error of my ways, and realized I could make do with a high school diploma.” Disclaimer: first he got in to Harvard.
- Harper Lee: Author of the American classic and Pulitzer Prize winning “To Kill a Mocking Bird.” Dropped everything her senior year of college to move to New York and become a writer. Thank goodness for that decision.
- Rachel Ray: Now celebrated for her ways with food, the TV chef and cookbook author dropped out of Pace University her sophomore year to work and save money. She landed a gig on Food Network after setting up cooking demonstrations in her local super market. Thus the birth of Thirty Minute Meals.
- Harry Truman: The 33rd president of the United States never went to college. Let’s repeat that. A former president never went to college. He also happens to be the president ultimately responsible for ending WWII.
- Kellan Lutz: Known as the ominous, but still total softie, Emmett in the “Twilight Saga” movies. Attended Chapman University to pursue a degree in chemical engineering. So brains and brawn.