by Evan Cooper
– The first historical reference of marijuana use comes from China where in 2900 BC Emperor Fu Xi mentioned the drug and its medicinal qualities.
– Healing oils comprised of cannabis are mentioned in the Old Testament.
– The ancient Indian, Arab, Greek, Egyptian, and Roman cultures all used marijuana for medical purposes.
– George Washington grew hemp at Mount Vernon as hemp was one of the leading industrial crops of the day.
– Marijuana was criminalized in 1970 when President Richard Nixon signed the Controlled Substance Act into law.
– California was the first state to legalize medical marijuana with the passing of the Compassionate Use Act in 1996.
– Today, 20 states have legalized medical marijuana, with both Colorado and Washington having legalized recreational use.